Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Teachers' Investiture Ceremony 2006

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I kinda gatecrashed today's ceremony. Although I asked Jeremiah, one of my good pals in NIE, for a ticket, I managed to get in without one. It was kinda troublesome getting the physical copy, so I told the ushers at the entrance that I had one, just that it's inside. No big deal, really.

As I witnessed the ceremony, many thoughts flooded my mind. At first when the teaching faculty marched into the auditorium in their gowns, there was supposedly this awe. But then Gulliver's Travels hit me. (Those who know the story may know what I'm referring to.) The strive for 'ribbons' seems like folly in the eyes of the reader - well, it was portrayed that way anyway. And I kinda saw the resemblance today. Well, it provided a kingdom perspective at that moment. To see the cohort in one uniform attire made it awesome, but to see different attires together kinda made it Gulliver's-Travel-like.

The valedictorian was a former groupmate when I was doing Diploma, and I had mixed feelings when I saw her there. She received many awards, and I felt that perhaps others could have been 'given a chance' as well. I don't really want to air what happened here, but all I know is, as I scan through the list of graduands, I felt that a lot of them worked really hard and put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

I was really touched by today's experience. I didn't have to be there, but I was. I was touched because many of my classmates today were graduating, and we might possibly not see each other again, or have that camaraderie we shared during our BA years. I was also touched because many of them showed their support and concern during my second pregnancy. One group - Suresh, Irda, Josephine and Subha - even offered to do my share in our group project and told me to focus on the pregnancy. For that, I offer my deepest appreciation. For Mrs Rosarita Teo who was my partner in Social Studies, she was extremely encouraging and is indeed a shining example who displays the professionalism and passion of an educator. I wished I could have a mentor like her when I graduate. I'm blessed to work with her. For Jeremiah - my Christian brother and same Chua clan brother, he encouraged me throughout my Diploma days to perservere and cross over together - I dream I didn't even dare to dream. He even lent me his notes and was great counsel and company during my dark days in NIE. For Phoebe, my Christian sister whom I could always rely on for a friendly face - she offered herself and her notes and most of all, showed me what humility really means. Same goes for Wendy, a dear sister-in-Christ who blossomed from a young Christian to a warrior for Christ. There have been many others who have extended their kindness to me, and me with less than perfect memory owes them a sincere thanks for their generosity. I have been humbled by all of them. I used to think that groupwork was less than ideal for fear of getting 'less than competent' group members. But through my incompetence, they have demonstrated grace for me to model after. Although I've had terrible experiences with coattail riders, the generosity and hardwork displayed has revealed the commendable spirit I thought was extinct. I am humbled by their industriousness and diligence - for all the effort they have put in to their studies and projects.

As I sat there, I was just so happy for each of them, so proud that they have all made it. Yet I also felt sad for those who felt that they hadn't met their own expectations, especially high scorers and award winners during the Diploma program. That additional pressure from previous results really doesn't help. As for me, I have one more semester to go, to enjoy before I venture out to the teaching world. Most of them strongly encouraged me to 'enjoy my last semester' having tasted a few weeks of teaching, and I will indeed cherish my last days in NIE. I've learnt that grades will be history, but friends made will create the past, accompany the present and hopefully still be around in the future.

No comments: