Monday, July 10, 2006

Shalom's Sleep & Sunday Activities

Abby 'slept through the night' when she was about 9weeks old. I can't really remember exact details (I think I didn't blog it) but I remember her 'stretching' the hours, i.e. wake up at 3am, then next night 4am, then next night 4.45am, etc... Then one night she didn't wake up till about 6am. I was so engorged I had to get up to pump, so that was when I realised, "Hey! She didn't wake up!"

Now, for Shalom, things have been a bit more relaxed. Until I don't really know what's happening. I intervened only recently after realised that he was still awake and being entertained at 11pm with full lights (coz "Zhi En likes looking at lights)!!! Argh. So after our dinner, I'll give Shalom a wipe down after his feed and Abby her bath (sometimes Lina will give her one) and then it's lights out around 8pm. So far, it's been good. Intervention took place because Abby started waking up at 10am in the mornings! Shalom also will wake up around that time. Usually Abby wakes up around 7.30am.

So with the adjusted bedtime, things are slightly more organised. Abby wakes up around 7.45am now for school. For Shalom, after he sleeps around 8pm, I'll give him a night feed at around 10-11pm, about 3hours after his last feed. Then he'll sleep and wake up around 3am for another feed. There was a period he was 'stretching the hours' then he stopped. However, he'll wake up around 5.30am exactly for another feed though yesterday was 6.30am, which I considered as the first feed of the day and worked wonderfully well for the Sunday schedule which looks something like this: (Sunday's madness!)

6.30am First feed
8am Bathe Shalom (Either Ben or I have to take our bath while the other gives Shalom one so that when Shalom's done, the clean one can entertain him until it's time to leave the house while the wet one will shower. Abby will be taken care of by Lina. Thank God.) Grab breakfast; either that or eat in the car which is awfully messy coz have to feed Shalom also.
9.30am Feed Shalom (usually one side if I don't pump, which I don't on Sundays anyway. If I pump, I'll give both sides. So it works out to be 2oz/3hrs each side or 4oz/6hrs one side. For my record.) Half-hour journey to church.
10.30amService starts. Shalom plays/sleeps. Abby stays with us through Praise & Worship. Children's church is perhaps geared to a slightly older-than-Abby crowd. Toddler group supposed to read verses off the board. A bit too complex for Abby at this stage. I'm just glad she can recognise her ABCs. I happy like bird already.
12.30pm Service ends. Feed Shalom in car. Ben 'tar-baos' lunch and we hide out at new place to eat. And play. And rest. Shalom naps. Then diaper/clothes change. He can't be carried upright after a feed. Otherwise his whole outfit will be drenched in puke. Argh.
3.15pmReach car by this time to leave for Suntec Aquaducks swim lesson. Knowing how we dilly dally, we end up later than scheduled. Argh. Ten minutes to load up car, ten minutes ride to Suntec (feed Shalom in car during this time), 20minutes to find parking lot, 2minutes to take lift to pool, 2.5 minutes to change into swimsuits, 30secs to get to pool and jump in.
4pmSwimming lesson begins. Abby has a whale of a time with mummy-whale.
4.30pmEnd of swimming lesson. Give Abby a shower and then shower myself.
5pmBreathe. Either we shop/run errands/regain our sanity or wait for further instructions for dinner. Possibly head down to wherever for dinner with my mum's family.
6.30pmFeed Shalom.
7pmHave dinner. Interact with family.
9pmLeave for home. Bid farewell. Abby knocks out in car.
9.30pmArrive home. Feed Shalom. Wipe down. Put both kids in bed. Ben rushes back to getting his work in order to catch up the lost weekend - or rather, lost 45 hours.
10pmMe-time. Go online. Take shower. Knock out. Be thankfully glad that it's still the holidays.

No comments: