Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mothers

No, this is not a tribute to mothers. In fact, maybe, in a strange way, it is.

I just returned from a free baby massage class organised by Johnson's and Johnson's. Buy $10 worth of J&J product from NTUC, contact them and arrange for a class - only available this month. It's a tribute to mothers. They gave a nice goodie bag with wipes, oil, lotion and a mat.

Shalom and I arrived there late, and he didn't really enjoy himself. I was frazzled - has been for quite a while. By the end of the class, he was nicely snuggled and soundly asleep. Some conversations between mothers went like this...

"Wah! Your baby very solid hor!"
"Yah, last time I breastfeed her, quite skinny... then I add formula, then she become bigger. I tell you hor, breastfed baby very skinny one. Must add formula!"
"Yah lor!"


*pengz*

Another one (to the coach, I think she's a Lactation Consultant?)...
Mother: Erhm, how to make my girl fat uh?
LC: What's her weight?"
Father: She's average.
LC: No, what's her weight? You must see her birth weight and her current weight, whether she follows the growth curve. If she does, it's fine. She's ok.
Mother and Father: Yah, she follows the curve.
Mother: But I want her to be fat.
LC: *silent sigh*


After all are dismissed, I was left with Shalom trying to put on his clothes. He was nicely snuggled in his diapers in a big towel. LC came over, "Hey, this one not bad also hor! Not bad!" Mother silently thinks, "Not bad your head uh! What not bad? He's gorgeous!" But of course I din say that lah, just smile and nod. Sheesh.

Mothers are odd people. Too odd. And I am also one of them.

No comments: