Wednesday, June 09, 2004

A blessed life

Life has been ironic. But then again, God has been real good. After reading Vincent's blog, I felt like his life was a lil' like mine. I admire the way he boldly shares his excitement. After talking to Mich, I've learnt a lil' better about pride. Pride's when I use my achievements to make others feel small. That has never been my intention. Still, when others feel small when they use my results as a benchmark, would I then be responsible?

As I was telling Ben last nite, I feel like I'm a typical cartoon character that's tremendously blessed - can cross busy junction without being knocked down, while the bad guy behind me gets run over by the granny on a bicycle or something. There's at least one who wants to find out how I'm doing, then attempt to beating herself up while waiting for some 'consolation'. If 'consolation' occurs, then the person will gather her courage to offer to swap places with me (as if that's possible - esp with the red tape that's everywhere). Somehow life is always 'unfair' for her although Ben & I have realised that she tries to be 'better' with the display of her vast knowledge of 'I-dunno-what-she's-talking-about'. Too cheem for me lah. It was because of my conversation with this person last nite about the crossover that really made me rather shaken. Ben had to talk things through patiently with me to calm me down. I was really confused.

Well, a summary of what has happened.

On Friday, I received a call from NIE (SAS) which I missed. On Sat, I called back and promptly received a call from Mrs Mak informing me that I had been selected to be the Valedictorian for the Diploma Programme for this year's NIE's Teacher Investiture Ceremony. I was so excited and deeply honoured. I believe, as any bearer of good news would feel, she was equally excited at my excitement. Then I shared with her that as I am currently expecting and the due date is a week after the ceremony, she asked me to think about the acceptance carefully, discuss with hubby and gynae and call her back on Monday which I did.

When I called her back, I told her I was accepting the offer (but I hadn't spoken to gynae yet) and she was quite hesitant. I the big mouth went to ask if got standby. :P or ask the Valedictorian for another day (12/8) to take over 13/8 also. Sigh. So dumb. She got quite upset coz she thought I thought it was a trivial matter - that anyone could just take-over. So she asked me to write to my Sub-Dean (who is still on leave) about my condition. She mentioned that he obviously didn't know about my condition so she wanted him to decide. Well, so I wrote. I also cced a copy to her.

The next day, she called and said that she had discussed with her bosses and they all think that it would be the best if I wasn't the valedictorian coz got ministers there and i may give birth before/during/after/whenever and pose a potential problem. So there. After the telecon, she wrote,

Dear Audrey

Thanks for being so understanding and for accepting the painful decision that we have to make concerning not being able to accept the role as the valedictorian.

We are sure that you will realize that this is the best decision that you have made for yourself and your baby.

In the meanwhile, we hope that you will take very good care of yourself.

I will look out for you at the TIC.

Regards
Mrs Mak
Student and Academic Services


Well well.

So, I gathered my courage (too chicken to fight lah - how to fight against pregnancy discrimination? In the US I bet it'll be a lawsuit) and asked them for a testimonial. And no reply yet.

Came across something interesting. Note the "Please arrange to have the valedictorian award made to her in absentia."

Well. You mean this can be done??

No comments: