Monday, November 13, 2006

Snapshots of Shalom at 8 months

>> He likes ribbons and tags. Gums them whenver he gets a chance. Even with cloth teething toys, he chews only the tag part. I think I used to do that too when I was young.

>> He can sit up very well on his own, and is lunging forward from the sitting position. I think we can expect him to start crawling pretty soon! :)

>> He's got a lot of teeth. 4 upper, 3 lower with one more on his left - canine I think - breaking through. I'm still breastfeeding him! :)

>> He has been a reluctant feeder lately. He used to take 6oz every 4 hourly before he started solids and before he started falling ill so often. Now he struggles to finish 4 oz every 3-4hrly. But his solids have been increasing. I can't remember how to juggle milkfeeds and solids. Any clues? :)

>> He's still nursing at night. I get about 6 hours of sleep from his last feed. So if I waste time and blog I lose out on my sleep. :P Then he wakes and I co-sleep with him after that in our bed. He can find his way to his milk even asleep, in the dark! And if our backs are facing each other, he'll turn around, pull my hair, at which I'll turn around (in my sleep usually) and he'll latch himself on. Very smooth transaction now. :)

>> He's been taking so much medicine. Had bronchitis twice since September. I think it's the bugs from Abby's childcare. ARGH!

>> Yesterday when we left home for Tuan-Min's wedding, he started developing a fever. By the time we reached church, I was totally distressed because of the heavy downpour, Abby's hysteria in the car because of the raindrops on the car roof, Shalom's fever, and no carpark lot. He remained extremely drowsy and slept for most part of the wedding, including reception. Anne Mak, Keawta, Charlotte, Auntie Aye Lan and Queenie were all in prayer for him. When we reached home, I finally got the chance to administer Paracetomol and even before the medication took effect, he sprang to life almost instantaneously! Praise the Lord! :) We kept praising God! :D

>> He seems to be repeating vowel sounds. Eh-Ee for Daddy, Eh for Mei mei. Seems he's doing a new vowel sound everyday. He's done Er (Schwa or upside down e - phonetics) and Eh. Usually he just goes one tone continuously, especially when it's in a group conversation, like tonight at my aunt's place. He looked like he wanted to say something and join in the conversation!

>> He responds when we ask him if he wants his milk. MIL uses 'neng-neng' while I try to use 'Milk'. He seems to respond whenever he wants a drink. Otherwise there'll be silence. :)

>> He knows how to accept and reject an offer to carry him.

>> He and his granddad are best friends. They take walks around the car porch in the evening. I'm sure he's heard many of the patriach's secrets that none of us will ever know. Otherwise I think he knows the names of all the plants in the garden. Including the nicknames. :) He once fretted after he was accidentally ignored by his granddad. When Shalom first saw him, he was really excited and wanted to be carried. But a phonecall came in and he answered it. Shalom was sad that he got ignored. When the phonecall ended, the granddad came downstairs and tried to get Shalom's attention. But the kid's face was classic. He was actually fretting! Even had a pout! Refused to smile, he just kept staring at his granddad who was quite puzzled (and I think abit hurt because there were no smiles). Later Shalom relented and his grandpa carried him. Then he just laid his head on the old man's shoulder. Very hurt look on his face. All of us at the dining table were amazed. He kept himself plastered to his grandpa for the longest time and leaned on his chest/shoulder all the way. Very endearing sight.

>> He loves his sister a lot. Even when she rough-handles him, he's fine with it. :)

>> He gets upset when Ben doesn't spend enough time with him. We can actually see that he misses Ben alot. :)

>> When I carry him, he doesn't want anyone else to carry him - according to my MIL. :)

No comments: