Monday, January 30, 2006

Reflecting

Was reading through my past entries of my first pregnancy around the same time - about end June 04 to start of August, and I realised I complained so much! At first Ben & I thought that this pregnancy is more difficult than the first one, but boy are we wrong... I had bodyaches, din wanna go school, fretted and fretted and fretted, and Abby also poked me a lot. But God's been really good, and this time around, we found out the cause of the hip problem I had and was having. Usually in pregnancy, we're recommended to have lotsa pillows to support our weight, but that's precisely the reason why my hip had been hurting so badly. I found this out accidentally in Sydney coz we only had 2 pillows and I didn't wanna ask for extra. So I used one while the other was used to prevent Abby from falling off the bed. And because of that, my hip stopped hurting! I hadn't realised it yet, only when I used another cushion as a bolster to support my upper leg that I suffered pain the next day, for the two days I used the cushion. *Eureka!* Eversince then, I stopped using support and I've been walking fine. Praise the Lord! :) My reasoning is - blood circulation is poor when my leg is lifted. As such cramps are reduced too! :) I used to have such bad cramps the first pregnancy - almost every night! But right now it's really much better. :)

Also, I put on less weight compared to the first pregnancy. I think I put on about 10-12kgs from the start of the pregnancy till now, as compared to the 18kg when I had Abby. My tummy's trimmer now also (though some people claim that it's bigger than before) and I'm praying that Baby2 will go full term and be delivered naturally right around his due date! :)

So my cureent state so far:
* Physically still active and strong, thank God for painfree hips. Occasionally Baby2 will go for my sore area on my belly - near my right hip which is a pretty sensitive spot - and that'll hurt. But that's occasional, happened for two different days since I started feeling his movements.

* Much lesser stretchmarks - although the areas are different - it used to be butt and hips. Now it's near the belly button (very slight) and itching at the lower abdomen area - sign of impending stretchmarks... :S

* Mentally grateful for the pregnancy and learning to love both my kids. Somehow I'm learning to love Abby so much more, and that influences my love for Baby2 also.

* Willing to go through local confinement practices. (NO KIDDING!) But I dunno how much "No hairwashing/bathing" I'm able to take. Seeing women who've gone through strict practices and emerging STRONG really makes me wanna do it well this time round.

* Willing to stand up for myself and my little ones - unlike the last time. Still tactful, but not servile.

* Thinking twice about epidural. The side effects were no joke.

* Pondering about the placenta issue... :S

* Wondering how to juggle studies, deadline, exams with the birth and Abby's adjustment. We're putting the house moving on hold, until I finish my exams (that's about May) and see if we (and Lina) are able to cope with the two precious. Also, I think my MIL will be really busy with her younger brother's second child (dunno how involved she will be there), our Baby2 plus Carole's Baby2 due in Sept! :D But seeing the bond between Abby & her (and Abby's yeye) is really lovely. MIL is really strong - Ben carried Cody just now and through that, realised that MIL's really very strong!! She attributes it to adhering strictly to the confinement practices when she delivered her three babies!

* Getting ready logistically for Baby2. Stocked up on milk bags, pump parts, clothes (mostly hand-me-downs, thank God!), breast pads and nursing tops. Have been scrutinising all tops and thinking how to transform them to nursing tops.

* Hoping that NIE would have a pumping/nursing room for nursing NIE trainees. Wrote to them through the Trainee Teacher Suggestion Form (but they really had no idea who to channel it to!) and hope that by next sem, they have basic facilities, such as fridge and private room. Come on, they're revamp the NIE Art Gallery (a white elephant) into a Student (Relac) Centre! Surely they'll have space for such a room! And think of the positive publicity they'll get! Also, it's in line with the Government's pro-family practices! And most importantlly, I don't have to get chased out smelly toilets while pumping halfway by soon-to-go-home cleaners!

* Survived a car accident in 2nd trimester as well as gastric flu @ around 30 weeks. Not good to be puking and having diarrhea while pregnant. Got compensated for the car accident. PRAISE THE LORD! :D The amount was just RIGHT for part of the renovation for the new place! :)

* Feet not bloated (can't remember when they started bloating very badly) but I'm wearing comfortable Hush Puppy shoes. They look like Birks.

Overall, I really thank God for both the pregnancies, coz children are a heritage from the Lord! :)

No comments: