Sunday, April 02, 2006

Guzzling Gurgler

My body *still* can't produce enough milk for Shalom. NOT because my body is not working in any order, BUT my little prince is guzzling down SO MUCH! He drinks about every 2.5 to 3hrs, and each time, it's a minimum of 4oz (120ml) PLUS from the breast PLUS top up coz after the feed he's still looking for food! (Formula tin recommends 1.5oz for newborn.) So yesterday, after he emptied both my breasts, he was STILL hungry (that's already about min 3-4oz coz I can pump that much at one go), I gave him a 4oz bottle (Expressed Breast Milk-EBM) and he finished it! Last night, gave him a 4 oz EBM bottle and after that, he still wanted some more, so we gave a 2oz bottle (formula this time), he finished it and was contented. No spit ups, no fuss, great burps! But he's really drinking alot. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable after the feed; in fact he looks really contented. I did check with the PD if that's normal, and he said different babies have different needs, feed on demand and that he's probably eating so much coz he's a big baby!

And he's not even one-month old yet. I really hope this is just a growth spurt. It's just amazing to see how much he drinks and poops. I don't feed him directly from the breasts coz he takes forever to drink (it can last up to 3 hrs) and it's much faster pumping, then someone else can feed. Otherwise I'll be babywearing the whole day!

No comments: