Monday, December 17, 2007

Emmanuel AOG Christmas Food & Fun Fair

Yesterday was our church's food and funfair! We had great fun and the weather was absolutely gorgeous! Everyone's been praying for fine weather especially when the event's smacked in the middle of the monsoon season.

We sold hotdogs with mashed potatoes and fruit & marshmallow fondue. Everything was sold out by the time the funfair was over, which is absolutely amazing. One praise point - all glory to God for directing in making mashed potato gravy - which I'd NEVER done before! :) With ingredients ALL from home - and it's really just bare essentials. I thought my trusty cookbook would have the recipe, but it disappointed me. However, thank God - I found one online! Ingredients are a hassle, especially when my cell friends actually ran all around the island looking for the elusive ready-made mix. It's challenging also because most recipes required brown sauce, which meant we had to go to the supermarket - and we didn't have time for that. We only had one hour to churn it out.

I can't seem to find that recipe now, but if I can recall my experience - not the recipe, it is:

30g butter (look in fridge)
30g plain flour (look in cupboard)
300-320ml chicken stock (look in fridge for Knorr and pray that it's there)
1 tbsp beef granules (don't bother to look in fridge coz it won't be there. Substitute with BOVRIL!)
salt & pepper (Bring along - but salty enough, so don't have to add salt)
1 tsp mustard (You must be kidding. Although recommended, I didn't dare. And I didn't have also.)
10g Cornstarch (Maid will suggest.)

I multipled all ingredients by x3. Coz we were selling one whole pot of mashed potatoes.

Steps:
Heat butter. To get 30g butter, put knife in hot water to cut butter.
Mix in flour. Stir continuously till brown.
Pour in chicken stock. (VERY BAD IDEA.) Better to mix butter and flour INTO the stock instead - unless you like oily and painful fireworks.
Stir and stir. Hope it'll turn out the way it's supposed to.
Add in huge teaspoon of Bovril. (Huge teaspoon coz tablespoon cannot go inside the Bovril jar.)
Keep stirring. Mixture will thicken.
When it looks like it's not going to thicken anymore, maid will suggest to put in corn flour mixture. Then it'll thicken.
Taste. Pray. Cannot complain.
Then be surprised by the miracle. :)

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY PRAISE GOD. We were praying very hard in the car because it was quite an impossible task. But God is good. He is the God of all! Even mashed potato gravy! :)

My bro & Jacque came to the funfair! It was amazing seeing them there. And we took 3 shots - well 2, and for the final one, there was some miscommunication, and we almost didn't take it. I'm glad we did - coz it was the BEST shot! :)


From left: Jacque, Randy, Mum, Me, Ben

No comments: