Monday, August 09, 2004

Abigail

Abby's getting into a 2 1/2 to 3hr routine - the parent directed feeding (PDF) Feed/Wake/Sleep cycle. Trying to shorten her feeding time (coz she tends to fall asleep while feeding) and i think it's pretty successful. It's eating into her wake time, and sometimes she's awake for 2hrs! So that eats into her sleep which makes her sleepy when she's feeding then the delay takes place again, and blah blah blah...

The part I like most is when we put her down to bed when she's still awake - all nicely fed and cleaned and she'll lay in bed looking around while we go around doing our stuff. After a while, she falls asleep on her own. :) But somehow she dussen do that when my MIL is around.

Sigh - guess what? I think it may have started. Yesterday my sister-IL and her bf came in to see Abby and she was trying to fall asleep on her own. Then my MIL came in. As she was about to come in, her voice arrived first and Abby started Weh-Wehing. Then my sis-in-law pointed out, "There, my mother come in, Abby starts to cry." I bet I've seen this scene somewhere before.

So far, for the number of times I've fed her, changed her and put her down to sleep (all on my own when others are not around or concussed), she's been good. No crying. In fact it just happened again. After I just changed her after her morning feed at 6.45am, the nicely-and-snugly swaddle Abby didn't protest at being laid down to rest and has been silent eversince. And SHE'S SLEEPING!!! But I must say, to silence a fussy baby is tenacity-training. At times, she'll fuss and Ben will calm her down and carry her in his arms. But for all the times i've been with her on my own she's a major darling. Maybe because if she threatens to be nasty with me, she thinks I may take my boobs away, so she's being really nice to me?? :p Or perhaps right now I'm her special flavour and her food source, so I smell delicious? BTW, local confinement practices have it in small print that confining mothers must smell yucky. It's damn ironic lah - sterilise EVERYTHING - even boil the clothes, but dun allow the baby's food source to even be cleaned properly. It's "nevermind lah"... ?!?!?! Sigh. Bloody unhygenic. True, things are better now - the Chinese allow herbal baths, but have u tried drinking HERBAL MILK? SICK.

Well, ancient practices have it that, long time ago in rural China, after a woman gives birth, she dussen bathe for a while for PRACTICAL reasons. Firstly, they have to go to the well to take water. It's a long walk and the water's bloody cold and heavy. SO, in order not to tire the mummy out, dun bathe lah. Anyway, their weather permits it. But over in Singapore, it's different. Ben & I even smelt a whiff of fermentation somewhere yesterday as Abby was milking me. Damn. It's sick.

No comments: