Monday, May 28, 2007

Lina-less month

It's Day 3 of No-Lina Month. She almost didn't make it home. We checked the night before her departure and realised that AdamAir flights out of Singaproe to Jarkarta had been cancelled. As it was past midnight, we could not contact the office here. Thankfully, we managed to contact the handling agent (I think) of/at Changi Airport (we called some number on the airport webpage) and they made arrangements for us.

Finally she boarded ValuAir-Jetstar after the lady whom we liaised with removed the ticket of the flight that was cancelled. Lina survived the transit at Jakarta between international and domestic airport, but was told that she could NOT return to Singapore coz she did not have the air-ticket. She was close to tears when she called Ben. We got that sorted out - either it's the travel agent's fault or that lady - I'm not sure, but I'm glad she's looking forward to coming back. She called Ben the next day and told him that she was really keen on coming back. Anyway, we were supposed to be informed of the cancellation but the phonecall never reached us. Either the travel agent's fault, or the maid agency, or simply inconsiderate behaviour.

Today started at 7. I set the alarm and it also woke Shalom up although it's quite soft - a clip of Abby singing Happy Birthday - or maybe he really likes that song? And he woke Abby up. So Ben had to wake up too. Made breakfast, bathed the kids, did laundry, cooked lunch, Ben mopped the floor, we washed up and packed the kids up for church. Then fed them in church with the very first meal I cooked especially for them. Although the first meal seemed presentable, it was not as easy to eat coz the corn was quite indigestable. I thought since they like the Mac's corn-cup so much, I'd add corn to the porridge. Only that the kernel had this tough bit which made it quite tough to swallow. Thankfully the next meal which was this evening- Salmon porridge - was quite alright. But then again, Shalom eats anything. :)

After church, we brought the kids back. They napped and woke up around 3plus. Abby started feeling sluggish and started running a fever later. Nevertheless, we entertained her request of the weekly Macker's meal as we were on our way to Kallang Stadium for GDOP, but she wasn't too thrilled. Fussy throughout. Fed Shalom at Stadium, Abby slept. She didn't eat. Had a drink and threw up in the car. She was dozing on and off, and I was worried as fever accompanied by lethargy is a cause for concern. We brought her to the GP and she suddenly came alive. Even started chatting with me happily. But when she got home, she started getting fussy and whiney again. Sigh.

I asked Abby yesterday if she missed Lina. She thought for a while and smiled, "I want Mummy...!" :) My heart melted. Both the kids know that Lina's not around, yet they haven't really asked for her.

I found a note from Lina to my MIL's helper today in one of the drawers. Although in Bahasa Indonesia, one sentence touched us - it read (in English), "Dewi please could you take care of the two kids, Shalom and Abigail." So sweet. :) Her sense of responsibility is very rare. :)

I spoke to my granny's helper yesterday and she told me that it is not easy to live in Indonesia once their contract ends. The conditions cannot be compared to here, and since they've been so conditioned to our kind of hygiene and lifestyle, they find it difficult to adjust to their former conditions. She could only stay up to 4 months before she requested to work overseas again. She wanted to go Hong Kong, but it seems that paperwork takes a long time, and Singapore's much faster, so she returned here instead.

These few days have been thoroughly physically exhausting, yet I really do enjoy it. Ben said that it isn't as hectic as this at work, and I told him that I quite like it - with all the childcare, household, laundry (with my mother's handwash methods - I can't use the machine to wash lah, except to spin dry... psychological barrier) cooking, cleaning, packing, etc, and he said that I really do like motherhood. Of course.

My only struggle? My backlog of work that's awaiting to be done this June hols. Oh well.

No comments: