Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Kids

When I see my students, I see directors, majors, businesspeople, salespeople who'll make it big, salespeople who shouldn't be in sales, teachers, accountants, accounts assistants, tai-tais, homemakers, drivers, shop assistants, shop owners, athletes, police officers, unemployeds, people who'll forever be trying to fulfill their dreams.

I speak to people, I hear stories. Stories of how they've exasperated their teachers countlessly. Stories of how much trouble they've gotten themselves into. Stories of how they've overcome themselves and moved to a higher level.

And the biggest problem I see in kids: their self-perception.

When they think they are hopeless, they act up terribly. When they see that they have hope, to never give up trying, they act according to the expectation placed on them. Although they might fall and fail at times, they get up and do't give up trying.

My worry is not for the troublemakers and the kids who often fail. My worry is for those who never make trouble and never fail. For when they taste failure, they might hate its unfamiliar repulsive taste and throw away their whole life - at a late age. Then it might be too late.

I celebrate and comfort when my kids fail. For it makes them stronger. They hate it, of course, but they have learnt to affirm themselves in other ways - ways that are often frowned upon in traditional school settings.

They talk a lot. They'll become great salespeople.

They move about a lot. They'll never stop coming up with ideas to get out of life's occasional rut.

They get into trouble for breaking rules. They'll go against conventional norms and break new ground as they think of things never thought of by those who are well-trained for school.

I love my kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chanced upon your blog. Being a father to 2 lovely daughters, a pastor and also a chaplain of a primary school, I am truly impressed. drop me a mail at smalldolphin@hotmail.com and I hope to share thoughts with you further.