Thursday, December 07, 2006

Revelations from house moving

> That three large plastin bins of assessment books can fit into one paper carton.

> That things that have gone missing mysteriously still aren't surfacing, such as my beloved stack of notes, the missing no. 4 finger from Abigail's puzzle, and the fried fly that fell of the table and disappeared into the abyss among the table and chair legs.

> An additional thirty boxes seems too many to one person and not enough to another. Teen challenge delivered them yesterday. The two rooms are about 40-50% packed and we're left with 22 empty boxes. Will finish by today I think.

> There's kinship in the family especially during hardship such as hard labour. Sister-in-law's hubby whipped out his newly bought O2 and blocked Monday for us when we mentioned that we'll be moving then. *touched*

> Our moving date is controlled by things beyond our control, such as the lift that can accommodate the large pieces of furniture suddenly tendering its application for sabbatical leave for EIGHT MONTHS. Starting on the date we wanted to move - 12 Dec. Buy Toto also not so 'chun'. Just that we don't buy.

> Such a significant event will have a ripple effect on many things and even more emotions. Some look forward to it with anticipation, others with dread and disappointment, especially when they are not in the picture. Oh well, if only we could accommodate to everyone. But can anyone ever?

> The movers may possibly kill their backs from the loads of books we have.

> De-cluttering doesn't take place until we start putting the things we want or need in the places that have been allocated for them. That's 'Reduce' (the need for the things we don't need - we'll give or sell). For the things we are retaining, we'll have to squeeze the life out of them till it's no longer worth using - that's Reuse. When they are at that state, we 'Recycle'.

> We've even bought a recycling bin from Ikea that can be lined with the free recycling bags for our recyclables! :D Lina and Abby are now so familiar with hearing the word 'Recycling'. My trash bin now sees only used tissue papers and 3-in-1 satchets (which I suspect can be recycled also. Haven't found that out thought). Oh, and the occasional 'tar-bao' styrofoam boxes. On the other hand, my recyclables box is filled most of the time. :)

> Things we buy actually stick with us FOR LIFE. Traditionally we'll go mad with buying stuff, even to the point where we think we *might* even need it, or simply because it's cheap, but now those stuff falls under "Will consider, if ever". And we hardly ever do. I've learnt that we need a bigger house to store the massive amounts of clutter we'll never use. And it only gets bigger as we acquire the stuff we don't need.

> Although this may seem as a 'downgrade' - from bungalow to 5-room flat (at least we're made to feel that way anyway - with the constant "Your house big enough to put a fridge or not? Big enough to put this or not? That or not?") we had a paradigm shift as we compared our spacious but old 30 yr old point block to the new but puny condominiums. That one cannot even put tv. I swear.

> Our new location may seem 'ulu' especially to north-easterner Ben who needs to travel to work in Toa Payoh daily, he didn't realise that he made an Hougang-Marine Parade trip daily for the past three years when he was at the student care. That time, no problem. Even when faced with the daily half hourly cruel jam along Hougang Ave 3/Kaki Bukit. Another paradigm shift. Now all is well.

> Our helper will almost never be alone with the kids at the new place. My mum who's a stone's throw away, my aunt who's got a toddler, my granny whose daughter has migrated down under, plus my beloved brother who's the Singapore Idol to my two kids, will possibly all be regulars that the new hangout. Plus my in-laws. Plus cell. Plus friends. Plus plus. :D

> We'll be taking several days off from the kids to unpack and unwind at the new place. We haven't had couple time together very much since Abby was born. Plus the kids have been sleeping with us in the same bedroom. Plus the baby monitor that's also in the room. Plus the no-locked doors policy (long story). MIL was smiling ear to ear when we asked her if we could leave the kids over for a couple of nights. Everyone's happy. Not sure for Abby though. She's been ultra-clingy these few days. Maybe because of the moving. I now pack with her clamped at my leg. Okie, exaggerating. But close enough.

> I've been procrastinating long enough. Will update again when I have this sensation again. Heh. :)

3 comments:

M said...

Eh I really think seeing things disappear and boxes stack up, affects the tod leh. Mine is still mad with me.
You got extra boxes? I have shortage- why did I think 20 boxes enough? *shoots myself*

Audrey said...

My relatives uprooted (temp and perm to Sweden & Sydney resp) and had about 300 boxes & items each. Not sure about extra boxes, but do you want them after our move? :)

M said...

Wah! 300 boxes!

Thanks, but realised will be just exact. I'm moving some sensitive items (computer stuff and impt papers) by hand earlier- frees up boxes. And using some Ikea cartons/ boxes I have all along, even suitcases haha.
I'd need more cartons in my next move in 9mths though. *cross fingers* Hope things don't build up too much by then! Will get more boxes from the mover at that time cos I have no space to even store your flattened cartons. :( VERY tight at my mum's.