Friday, November 23, 2007

I am now certified!

Was feeling kinda bored with all those after-school-term meetings, so I decided to join in one of the courses which came through the school's email. I thought since it'd be just a few hours event of learning something new, why not? My life's a li'l stagnated right now.

So I decided to go Sports Climbing.

Usually people call it Rock-climbing, but since it's known as such, you actually need... erhm, rocks, or a rock at least. Real ones. Those moulds they mount on walls, that's Sports Climbing. I seriously didn't know the difference, until yesterday.

So after 5 hours of setting up, learning to tie figure 8 knots, understanding that karabiners are NOT Carribenas (erhm, something close to the Carribean Sea?), put on the harnass, getting my flesh jammed in the ATC while belaying my colleague, overcoming my mental obstacle and reaching the top of the school wall TWICE!, wrapping up and getting inspired by all the mountaineering videos, I AM CERTIFIED!

Sports Climbing Certificate Level 1.

No big deal, but it's my FIRST ever climb! The only thing I usually climb is up onto my bed. Not trees, definitely not moulds on walls. I wanted to give up, really give up, and just polish up my skills as a belayer. But no... this session provided an excellent opportunity to bond with a not-so-familiar colleague whose going to be in the same level next year. With her help and support, I managed to press on and reach the top, which I never thought I could do it. I just wanted to cross the red line - about 2.5m off the ground. But the top, it's about 3 stories high I think!

But the catch which came later - now since we're certified, we'll need to be on call for kiddos who need to boulder or sports climb. Supervise; be their belayer. There's talk that there's going to be Level 2 training.

When I told Ben I was now certified Level 1, he asked me, "So how many more thousand levels to go before being fully certified?" :P

Actually, 2 more - Level 2 then Supervisor or Instructor Course. The latter is very expensive.

He was quite impressed I think. :)

Well, here's a video to inspire! However, Dan Osman's not around anymore - equipment failure. Watch the video! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! :D Dunno why u say u hav no discipline, hello?
- Mel